IID image.jpg


An Ignition Interlock Driver License (IIL) allows you to drive a vehicle while your license is suspended or revoked for a drug or alcohol–related offense.


To be eligible, your driving record must show all of the following and that you have an unexpired WA driver license or valid out of state driver license:

  1. An arrest or conviction of any of the following:
    • DUI or Physical Control involving drugs or alcohol
    • Reckless Driving
    • Vehicular Assault involving drugs or alcohol
    • Vehicular Homicide involving drugs or alcohol
  2. You have a WA State residence address and unexpired WA driver license.
  3. Your current suspension or revocation doesn’t include:
    • Minor in Possession, or
    • Habitual Traffic Offender (Suspended 1st degree)

What if I don’t have a WA driver license?

DOL will only issue ignition interlock licenses to people who have a WA driver license or a valid out of state driver license. If you want to get an IIL and have a WA residence address you’ll need to get a WA driver license. This will include passing all tests and paying fees.

When to apply

If DOL suspended or revoked your license:

You may apply for an IIL at any time, including after being arrested or after your revocation hearing. When you get an IIL you must maintain an interlock device in the vehicles you drive for the rest of your suspension.

After DOL receives your application:

  • DOL review your documents and proof of payment.
    • If DOL does not get all the documents for your application within 30 days, DOL will deny your application and send you a denial letter. You’ll need to reapply and pay the fee again.
    • Make sure you send your application fee. DOL can’t process your application without it.
  • If DOL approves your application, DOL will mail or email your IIL when your license suspension or revocation begins.
  • You only need to pay the application fee once for each incident. If you get another suspension for the same incident date, you don’t need to pay the application fee again. You do need to pay it again though if you don’t send all of the documentation needed within 30 days.

Work vehicles

If you drive with an IIL for work, any vehicle you drive during work hours must be equipped with an ignition interlock device if your employer:

  • Owns, leases, or rents it.
  • Is temporarily responsible for its care or maintenance.

This requirement may be waived for most work vehicles if you:

  1. Get your employer to sign an Employer Declaration for Ignition Interlock Exemption.
  2. Send DOL a copy of the signed declaration before you drive vehicles for work.
  3. Carry a copy of the declaration with you whenever you drive a work vehicle that isn’t equipped with an interlock device.

Note: The ignition interlock device requirement can’t be waived if the work vehicle is assigned exclusively to you, and is used only for commuting to and from work. You can’t drive it to and from your home.

Commercial vehicles

You can’t drive a commercial motor vehicle while you have an IIL.

Fees and costs

You’re responsible for paying all the interlock device costs, including:

  • Cost of installing, leasing, and removing an ignition interlock device.
  • Cost of maintaining proof of financial responsibility (usually as an insurance certificate).
  • The IIL application fee which is non–refundable.
  • The monthly Ignition Interlock Device Revolving Account fee used to help low–income drivers.

Help for low–income drivers

You may be eligible for financial help during the time you have an IIL or IID requirement. If you’re approved, we’ll reimburse your provider $80* per month for each service:

  • Installation,
  • Monthly lease fee,
  • Removing the device, or
  • Transfer the device to another vehicle.

*You’ll be responsible for paying all the remaining costs. (This rate is effective August 1, 2014.)

To apply for assistance, submit an Ignition Interlock Device Financial Assistance Application.

  • If you’re approved, you’ll need to reapply every year.
  • If you’re denied, you may reapply in 6 months.

Do I have to tell my employer I’m required to use an ignition interlock device?

Only if your job requires that you drive employer owned, leased or rented vehicles.

Before you can legally drive a work vehicle without an interlock device, your employer must sign a declaration that you’re required to drive the vehicle during work hours. Carry a copy of the signed declaration whenever you drive a work vehicle that isn’t equipped with an interlock device. If the work vehicle is assigned exclusively to you, and you only use it to commute to and from work, you must have an interlock device installed on the vehicle when you drive it.

If I was convicted of a DUI, can I get an Occupational/Restricted License instead of an IIL?

No, you must have an IIL and an interlock device installed in your car to drive legally. The Occupational/Restricted License (ORL) isn’t available to drivers who’ve been convicted of DUI.

What if I own more than one vehicle?

You must install an interlock device in all the cars you drive — not necessarily all the cars you own. If you prefer, you may install an interlock device in 1 vehicle that you’ll drive while your license is suspended.

Disclaimer and Conditions of Use:

The vast majority of informaiton on this page is found on the DOL Web Page as of August 1, 2016. The Angus Lee Law Firm, PLLC, provides this information to assist trial lawyers and judges. This should not be confused with legal advice. While we seek to have this site be accurate, up to date, and complete, the Angus Lee Law Firm, PLLC, does not warrant that the information is complete, up to date, or accurate. The Angus Lee Law Firm, PLLC, disclaims all liability to any person for any loss caused by errors or omissions in this collection of information.